10. Doctors

1787 Words
"TAKE HIM TO ROOM 7 PLEASE." I get in and settled. The man has a lot of rocks in him and needs cleaned out now. I dose him to keep him unconscious for 4 days. More commotion starts in the hallway. I poke my head out to see what's going on. "DOCTOR 4 PATIENTS. 2 CHILDREN, 2 ADULTS. CARRIAGE WENT OVER THE CLIFF." "GUARDS BRING ME DIPAK AND TRE. TELL THEM NO BABY. GIVE THE BABY TO MY DAD." I run over to the children first. "This one's good. Going to need opened up. Dorseti get me doses ready." "Yes Doctor." The 2nd child needs me. He has chest and neck issues. I have to do this one. Tre and Dipak run in. I hold my hand up before they say anything. I check the 2 adults. They seem like they only need a good clean out. No major damage to the heart or lungs. Everyone is dead silent while I check everyone. "Dorseti 4 doses 4 days each. I'll do them here. The patient in room 7 has already been dosed. I have to take this child." I point to the bad child. "Dorseti get the paperwork going and get these people in rooms. Make sure they all have blood drips." She nods at me. I look at Tre and Dipak. "I will make sure they don't wake up. Can you begin cleaning them out. Do not close them up. I will have to check them, but I know you both can do this. Any issues with the heart or necks. Stop immediately and notify me. Do not continue. And make sure you get the blood drips in first thing. If the blood ever stops absorbing come and get me." They both nod. I dose all of them for 4 days right in the hallway. "Guards help Dorset get them in beds." I take the child and roll him into the room. I set up the blood drip and it is still absorbing. Not much but it's still going. There is a lot of damage to the chest. I open his chest and his heart is not damaged at all. Around it has damage but the heart itself is fine. I check his neck and it's a bad break. I'm going to have to open him and line all those little bones and nerves back up. He almost lost his head. His only chance to live is if I help his body with this. I roll him with the brace on and lock everything, so the neck can't possibly move. I cut straight down the center and open the back of his neck all the way up. His neck is only held together by one small sliver of bone. This is so bad. Anything could break that. I start placing all the little pieces of bones back together. Stopping occasionally to put fresh blood on it. That always helps things heal faster. I don't know how long I put these bones back together before the door opens. Dr. Cruor comes in with the boys behind him. "Report." "Very badly broken neck. I've never seen one that bad." I say it so quietly. I don't want to move wrong or slip. "His head was held on by a sliver... I'm almost done." "Minute please." I remove my hands and sit back. Cruor flushes it with blood. Probably to make sure it's still absorbing. It does right away. "That's a lot faster than it was before." "You did amazing. I'm not sure if I could have saved this child Nadine." "I'm sure you could have doctor. I learned everything from you." I stretch. "Feel like I haven't moved from this spot in hours. How long have I been in here?" Tre answers, "4 hours." "I guess I haven't moved in hours. How are my other 4 patients?" Cruor answers, "The boys cleared them all. And really well. I went through and checked them all already. I mean it's kind of odd. I ran to the market one village over, I come back and you hired 2 new doctors." "Sorry Asa gave me a baby, and it was only me and Dorseti here. All hell broke lose after about 3 minutes. I had no choice but to bring in outside help. And you checked the guy in room 7 as well? He didn't come in with these 4." "Yes ma'am. The boys got them all." "Thank you both again." They both smile at me. Dr. Cruor nods. "I will finish this one. He's about done anyways." "I will come back in the morning. I really have a lot of paperwork to do now. I still haven't done yesterdays." He chuckles as I get up and leave with the boys. Dipak kisses my head. "You good?" "Hungry." "Get cleaned up quick. We're only a little late to dinner." I wash up quick and throw on a clean nurse dress. I get out to my sitting room and they are both there again. "We really need to get more people for the medical area guys." We go towards the dining room. "It usually runs so well though." "Yea, but Vitchen and Elkie are both out. They do a lot. I'm really surprised Dorseti stayed conscious all day today. That was a lot of blood. I guess you're right. After tomorrow everything will run like normal again." Dipak puts his arm around me. "And now you have 2 new doctors to help out when all hell breaks lose." "Yea, that is true. You are both good at it." We walk into the dining area and momma has the seats all messed up again. Everyone is standing around. "Guess we weren't late after all. Why does she care so much where people sit?" Both boys say "I have no idea." at the same time. Momma smiles. "We're going to try something different." "Momma, have you ever thought about a big round table?" She stares at me for a minute. "We could all see each other." Trying to push her towards my idea. "I mean it's dinner, not a meeting where someone has to lead it. We eat and talk." "We will try that tomorrow but for tonight..." I sigh. "Nadine you pick a seat." I run over and kick daddy out of his seat at the head of the table. "THIS IS NOW MY SEAT." Dipak takes the seat at the other end of the table before my dad can get there. "MY SEAT." We laugh at each other for a few minutes. Daddy glances back and forth at us a couple of times. Then starts laughing. "I'll sit in the middle then." Tre walks over and takes one of the chairs closest to me. "Careful sitting there. You are in my space, and you will get kicked." He chuckles. Dipak shakes his head. "Laugh all you want now. But some of those shoes hurt." Dipak's parents sit down on his side of the table. My parents and Tre's parents sit in the middle looking at each other. Thora comes down and sits by me across from Tre. Frode gets her the wide chair and then sits down beside her. Omar sits by Tre and Kane sits by him. Gunner sits on Dipaks' side but leaves a space, so they don't kick each other. Momma stands up. "Tomorrow we are going to try a round table." Asa's holding the baby. "Tell us how this one was delivered?" "It's very graphic. But it ended with me standing in puke, holding a baby covered in goo, while we both cried." "That does sound like a lot. And Tre didn't pass out or anything?" "No, he got promoted to doctor today. Tre and Dipak both did." Daddy sits up. "Why?" I smile. "They both did unassisted surgery. They know what they are doing." Dracul busts out laughing. "They both have been chasing her around the medical area for long. They have 'picked up' how to be doctors." Everyone starts laughing at that. "Tre I don't like this seat." "The spot?" "No, the seat. Daddy your chair is not good." "Well, you're the one who wanted it. You sit in it." Momma nods. "We are not changing everyone around again. We'll try round tomorrow." I am wiggling around. His seat is not comfortable. People are starting to laugh at me. "TRE." "Fine trade me spots." I switch spots with him. "This is much better thank you." I sit back and get comfortable in my new spot. "What is wrong with this seat? I thought you were being dramatic. This is not comfortable." We all bust out laughing. "I told you." I get up and grab him a chair from the side of the room. "Try a different one. I don't know what he did to that one." Daddy acts offended. "It is formed to my butt is all. I'm the only one ever sat in it." "Yea, this one is better. You want your seat back?" "No it's fine. I just didn't want daddy to have it for 1 night." Daddy laughs. "From now on, I'm coming to dinner a half hour early to make sure I get my spot and no one else can take it." Momma rolls her eyes. I cross my legs and hook my foot behind Tre's leg without even thinking about it. He puts an eyebrow up. I shrug my shoulders and say quietly, "It's this, or you get kicked a lot." He smiles and winks at me. Then he gives me another funny look and stares at Thora. She whispers, "You're in my space." I bust out laughing and spit out water. Daddy yells, "DON'T YOU DARE GO UNDER THAT TABLE." Tre slams his cup down laughing. I come up so fast I hit the back of the chair and fly over backwards breaking it. Thora screams. "HE'S IN MY SPACE." Dipak cracks up laughing at the other end of the table. I am laughing so hard I can barely get off the floor. A servant switches my chair out for me. Momma stands up. "CHILDREN ENOUGH." "BUT I GOT THE BAD CHAIR AGAIN MOMMA." We all laugh so hard. Tre gets me another chair from the wall and switches them. Then sits back down. He rubs his eyes and tries to stop laughing. I focus in my empty plate. After a couple minutes we all seem collected again. I get comfortable and hook my foot back on him. He smiles again. He doesn't smile at me. He just smiles. I think he likes it. Momma shakes her head. "That was quite entertaining. Let's eat." She gives the signal for food.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD