23. Another Invite

1349 Words
I wake up in the morning alone. I take my bath and dress in the nurse's outfit. I eat some breakfast alone, and then take the tunnels to my office. I get to the nurses' desk and Elkie and Dorseti are sitting there. I sit between them. "Did you have fun last night, Elkie?" "Yes, getting dressed up like that was amazing. And all the dancing. What happened to you though? All of a sudden, there was a big issue. Mary was yelling at Dipak and Tre for being stupid. I think even Tye got yelled at when he tried to figure out what was going on. Then Omar tried to defuse the situation, but she yelled at him too. Then Zeldra yelled at Dipak. She said you have no idea how much effort and time it takes to get dressed up like this and to not even be told you're pretty is ridiculous. Then she stuck her nose in the air and walked off. That part was hilarious." "I was sitting on the couch feeling hurt. So I told Mary I wanted to go home. She sent Kane to fly home with me. I think next time one of you can be the princess. I'll stay home." They both laugh. "I'm not joking. You can deal with them. I'll take a long bath and enjoy the silence. But enough of that. Tell me about all the fun you had." Elkie starts in about everything. Then the 2 of them compare the different events. We talk and laugh all morning. Right before lunch, the medical area doors fly open and 8 people get wheeled in. Cruor runs out of his office, and we go over and check them out. "Carriage over a cliff. 8 patients." "We can do them all. None of them look life-threatening. Clean out the rocks." I take the first patient. He was right. I clear the rocks and intestines out of this one. Then I knock him out for 3 days and do the paperwork. I end up doing 4 and Cruor does 4. Then I sit at the desk. There is food, cakes, fruit, and juice for us all. "Dipak and Tre. I told them you were in surgery." "I'm going to go get cleaned up then eat." I get back out and Dipak and Tre are standing there. I sit down and eat. I glance at them with an eyebrow up, since neither one of them have even moved. They both start apologizing. I eat my food and listen to them both say they are sorry. A bunch of times. I eat all my food. Then I put my hand up. "I'm not mad. Go away. I'm staying here for a couple of days." They both open their mouths, but the doors fly open again. "KID TRAMPLED BY A HORSE DOCTOR." I run to him. I get him in a room and Cruor comes in behind us. The poor kid's chest is cracked open. "That horse must have stepped right on him." "He's got head trauma, but his neck is ok." "Can you get your hand in that hole and see if the heart is ok?" "It feels ok. But there is a lot of other damage." "Let's crack his chest and clear the damage." 2 hours later, we come out of the room. The boy will be fine. But he is going to be healing for a while. Cruor has a lot more blood on him than I do. "Go clean up first. I can wait." My dress and gloves are bloody, but I've definitely been worse. I sit on the nurses desk and wait for my turn to clean up. Tye and Tre are walking towards me. Dorseti takes the veil off my head. Then I take the gloves off. She takes all of it to the laundry area. "Hi boys, It's been a long day. I need a bath, and now I have a lot of paperwork to do. What do you need?" Dorseti comes back with swords on her hips. Elkie comes out of the medicine area twirling 2 swords. They both stand behind the desk I'm sitting on and stare at the boys. Tre is very concerned. "We've been invited to another ball." "Well there's no in hell I'm going. You can all do what you want." "We do have to go." "Well then, go." "Ok." Mary sneaks up behind them, twirling 2 more swords. The boys see me smirk and turn around quickly. Mary smiles. I nod. "There's another ball, Mary." "Oh these boys are stupid." Tre looks at the girls behind me. "Will you 2 go with me and Dipak?" Both of them immediately and at the same time. "No." I didn't even have to look at them. I glance back and forth between the 2 boys. "Did you need anything else?" They both shake their heads. Tre grabs Tye by the arm and pulls him out. Cruor comes out of the bath area. Mary grabs me. "Let's get you cleaned up." I get back and Omar is standing there. Not a big surprise. "Nadine." I put my hand up. "I have nothing to talk about, Omar. Can you make me a door to my house?" I step onto my porch and I feel happy again. I sit down on my swing and enjoy it. After a couple of hours, I get hungry. Not real sure what to do. I can't hunt, and my vegetables aren't in yet. I decide to try fishing. I grab a pole, net, and some bait and go to the lake. I toss the line in and sit there forever. "Why do fish hate me so much?" I need to eat. I'm starving now. I sit the pole down by the net and I go in the water. I walk a good distance away from the shore before I see any fish. They are by some downed trees. I easily grab one. Then I head back, but my foot gets stuck in something. I take another step and my other foot gets stuck. I can't move at all. So I let the fish go and try to free my feet. It's getting somewhat dark, and I can't really see well. I can not get my feet out. I check the feathers and they are fine. Thanks again feathers. Not like I could really throw them underwater or talk to the boys either, but help would have been nice. I yank at the stuff holding my feet down and I can not budge anything. I can feel my dragon, but she's only simply mildly annoyed right now. I go back to trying to free my feet. It gets darker and darker in the water. I can barely see anything. I'm hungry and tired now. I start crying. I think I'm going to be out here all night. No one is coming. No one knew where I was. No one knows I'm even missing. I stand there and sob. Then I try to free my feet again. All I wanted was 1 stupid fish, so I could eat. I can't even do that. Everything around me turns black slowly. I guess the sun is gone down. I'm cold. I keep crying. I can't get my feet out. I close my eyes. Maybe I can sleep like this. I remember what it use to be like with the boys, when they would try so hard to get my attention. Now I have to ask for even one of them to tell me I look pretty. They use to do things to make me smile. Now they only do things if I'm mad or upset. I feel someone grab me and pull. But my feet are stuck. Then I see red eyes and whatever I'm stuck in is gone. I feel warm arms around me. I am so cold. He picks me up and I snuggle into him. He's so warm. I don't know if I'm passing out or falling asleep. We leave the water.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD