38. Old Memories

3782 Words
One second we are in the entrance. The next we are in my old bedroom. I am sitting on a stool as a little girl. It starts playing like we are in a movie. Mary comes in. "Where's Leshanie?" "I'm sorry ma'am. But that servant found her mate. She went to live with him." "What's a mate?" "I'm going to put some of this liquid in your hair. It will help make the tangles come out easier. Then I will tell you about mates." I nod. "Little miss, a mate is someone who falls in love with you. And you fall in love with them. You have a big wedding. You make a family and home with them. Someone that will always love you just the way you are. You will be with them forever." "How do you know someone is your mate?" "I haven't found mine yet. But I've heard other people tell me. They smell so amazing. They will be the most beautiful person you've ever seen. All you will want to do is touch them. And when they look into your eyes, you can actually feel your souls connect right in your chest." "Will I get a mate too?" "Everyone gets one. But some people wait longer than others to find them. You never know when they're going to show up. But they always show up at the right time. And you will love him immediately. You'll actually claim them. You say mine while looking in their eyes." "He won't be annoying like my brother, will he?" "All boys are a little annoying. But no, probably not as bad." Dipak starts laughing. Then Tre and Tye start in. "Where do babies come from?" She slips and nearly falls off the chair. All of them bust out laughing. Even Mary. "Ouch you pulled my hair." "I'm sorry ma'am. But look we have it all combed out." "Wow you did it, and it didn't hurt at all." Tre looks at me and Mary. "What is this?" I start crying. "Just watch." "Well, you invite all your family and friends and everyone gets dressed up. But the bride gets a special dress. You will be the most beautiful person in the room." "With make-up and everything?" "Yep, anything you want. It will be your special day. But you stand under an alter and tell each other special things. Then a man stands up and announces that your souls are now connected for all eternity. Then you get to kiss your mate." "On the lips? That's gross." They all laugh again. "Someday you won't think that. All you'll want to do is hug him and be close to him." "What about the veil? I was told I have to wear one when I get older. So no one can see my skin." "No one should see your skin until your mate sees it first. It's his right to see you first. Because you're his." "Why don't boys have to cover up like that?" She sighs. "I'm not sure miss. But I do believe it's because they like to rough house to much. I mean, could you imagine a boy trying to wear a veil while fighting with a sword? I don't think that would go well." Omar nods. "This is very informative." "Wow, these curls are so pretty and bouncy. Thank you so much... what is your name?" She looks down. When she looks back up I notice tears in her eyes. "What's wrong? You don't have a name?" "I do have a name. But no one asked me that in many, many years, miss. Shocked me that you would ask ma'am." "Oh." I reach out and grab her hand. "What is it?" "My name is Mary ma'am." "My name is Nadine." I do a curtsy. "It's nice to meet you, Mary." "Mary. Will you be my servant, Mary? You're much nicer and better with hair too." "I would love to ma'am." "You don't have to say ma'am." The group of us stand there and watch little me and Mary walk to the door. "I liked it when you said little miss. Or just don't call me anything if you want. I get tired of hearing ma'am all the time. Everyone says that. Do you play dolls?" "I can if you would like little miss." Me and Mary both completely lose it. We are sobbing uncontrollably holding each other. We get wrapped up by different people. I don't even know who is holding me now. "You're alright." That was Tye. "It's ok baby." That was Tre. "It's changing. Everyone pay attention." That was Dipak. Movie me walks a horse over to my dad, Dipak, and Mary. They all start clapping when I get closer. "Good job princess." "I think you may be better than I am." "Let's walk back to the barn now and that will be it for today's lesson." "Look Clay. I'm on a horse. They say I'm doing good." "Yea good job. My perfect sister doing everything perfect. So surprising." He throws a rock at the horse's foot and it makes the horse jump. You can tell it scares movie me. "What is wrong with you Clay?" "Nothing. It was just a joke. I'm going for a walk." The movie flashes to the river. "CLAY!" He turns around and walks away from me. "Nicladie!" "What?" "What is wrong, brother?" "I'll never be as good as you with anything. My perfect sister." "What do you mean?" "I've had horse lessons for months. I still can't even walk a horse." Movie me gives him a hug. "Clay, I work with Shadow every day. For months now. I feed, water, and brush him. Every day. I've never seen you in the barns. You need to spend more time with your horse. Horses are so smart. He will come around when you spend more time with him. He has to trust you first." "You just seem so good at everything on your first try. I'm quite jealous sister." "I'm older, and I'm jealous of you too, brother." "You are?" "Just think of all the things you will try that I won't. Like shooting a bow and arrow. I would love to do that, but there's no way dad would ever go for it. Swinging a sword. Horse riding in competitions. Girls are supposed to stay in the house and cover up. Heck, in a few more years I'll have to put on a veil and hide my skin. You'll never have to do that. I really am jealous of you too, Clay." "I guess I never thought about it like that." He hugs me. "I'll show you how to shoot a bow someday sister. Once I learn anyway." We both laugh again. "We won't tell dad." "You're the best brother a girl could have, Clay." "And you're the best sister." I start to cry again. This time Dipak and Tre wrap me in their arms. "It's ok, sweetheart." "What's that pile of stuff over there?" "Some animals. I was mad and thought I would practice hunting." "That's a lot Clay." "They're just squirrels and rabbits." The movie changes to when I was in school… "I've got a horse riding lesson tomorrow." I pick up my books. The school girls laugh. "Girls don't ride horses." "Yea, that's a boy thing. We're not strong enough." "Oh I ride. I have a horse named shadow. He's really gentle." We all watch the human girls run away from movie me. Movie me follows them out with tears in her eyes. Mary runs up as soon as she can. "What's wrong little miss?" "What are you doing here?" That was daddy. "She's walking me home daddy." "I told you no servants. Humans don't have them. Servant, go home. I will deal with you later." "She's walking me home daddy." "No more walking you home. She is not to be here at all. If I catch her here again, you will never return. Do you understand?" "Yes daddy." "There will be no horse riding lessons for 1 month, and you will help that servant of yours with the chores." "I'm sorry daddy." He uses his hand to tilt my face, so I'm looking at him. "Nadine, you will be queen one day. There are certain things you must learn to do on your own. And being brave and facing people alone is one of them." "Daddy, do you think I'll be a good queen?" "You'll be an amazing queen. You are so strong and brave. Everyone will respect you, as they respect me." I kick a rock. "The girls were trying to get away from me cause I said I ride Shadow." "Oh, is that why you were upset?" "Yes." "Well, it is odd for a girl to ride. But you're not a normal girl. You're a princess. And someday a queen. There are some extra things you will be able to learn as you grow up. Your real friends will accept you the way you are." "Like bow and arrows?" He chuckles. "Not that. We still need to make sure your mate is the one protecting you. It would be really weird if you were protecting him." "Will he be strong?" "Yes, he will be a king. He will be smart and strong. Kind and protective. But mostly he will be yours." I smile. "Sometimes I wonder what he will look like." "Oh it's to early for that. You will kill this old man by talking about things like that. You still have a long time to wait, Nadine." He walks a few steps to the side of the path. "Look at that." "What is it, daddy?" "That poor little rabbit has his food caught by that rock." He moves the rabbit and he hops off. "There, that's better." "Daddy it was just a rabbit." "Everything that's here has a right to its life. We all should work to protect the innocent. No matter how small or big." The movie flashes forward to me jumping on the rocks in the river. I slip and almost fall in. Tre catches me and drags me to shore. "Oh hi Tre." "What are you doing out there alone? You could have fell in, and this big dress would have weighed you down so fast, it would have taken you forever to fight your way out." "But I'm not alone. You're here now. I bet you can't make that jump." "Oh yes I could." He takes off running for the river. I run after him laughing. He starts jumping on the rocks and gets all the way to the one I slipped on. "You watching? I'm going to do it." "I'm watching!" He jumps and lands on the other rock perfectly. He turns around to look at me. "I tol" He slips and falls in. All of us in real time bust out laughing. Dipak looks at him. "Good job Tre." "TRE! TRE! Where are you? TRE?" "What princess? I just went for a fish. Want to have a fish with me?" We all bust out laughing again. "You did not go in for that fish! You fell in!" He smiles at me. "I'll make a fire, so we can cook this. Can you find some twigs or dry leaves? I'll get some of the bigger sticks." "Ok. But you fell in." Movie Dipak walks up behind us. "What are you 2 doing out here?" "He was fishing." I say looking up. Dipak looks at Tre. "There are easier ways to fish. Ways that you don't get soaking wet." "Yea, I didn't have a pole though." Dipak chuckles. "Alright you 2 enjoy that fish and get back to your houses before nightfall. Something has been killing the deer around here." Tre looks up. "What is it?" "Don't know. But it seems to be a vicious animal by the way the carcasses look." He looks around. "You 2 just be sure to be home by nightfall." I nod. "Yes sir. I'll make sure we go back before that." He smiles at me. "Thank you princess." "I'm going to get us another fish or 2. These are good." "Yes they are. You want a pole though? My house isn't far." "Nah. The cool water feels nice and then the warm fire afterwards. I'll be right back princess." "Ok." Mary looks at me. "So what is the point of watching all these memories?" "I don't know Mary. But it was fun watching Tre fall in the water." We all laugh again. "Ok princess, let's get you home." "I have to put the veil on tomorrow." "Why cry?" "You see me today. Why will I be different tomorrow?" "Soon us men will be looking at you differently, so you need to be covered." "US MEN? You're barely older than me. You're not a man yet." "Someday soon I will be. So I shouldn't see your skin. Maybe sooner than you think, princess." Dipak gives him a dirty look. "YOU WERE BOTH BABIES." Tre shrugs his shoulders. It flashes to the steps outside the front of the castle... "Thanks for walking me home. And for the fish today. It was a lot of fun. To bad, I'll have the veil on tomorrow." He smiles and moves a hair off my face. "Don't worry, I'll still remember what you like under it." It flashes forward again. I'm sitting on the steps with Clay. "I heard mom and dad talking." "Yea, what did they say?" "They think that Tre may be your mate someday. They say he's always been protective of you." It flashes forward again. We're in the theater. I stand up and everyone claps. My mom stands up. "Thank you everyone for joining us today for this special occasion. If you will all follow me, we will be have lunch in the ballroom." I walk over to Mary. "I'm hungry and how am I supposed to eat with this thing over my face?" "Follow me child. We will pin it down quick, and you can always reach under it to eat. Or take it off completely if no men are around." I follow Mary out of the theater and when she turns around to look at me her mouth falls open. "Where did the veil go?" She starts looking around frantically. We all bust out laughing again. Tre looks at me. "Good job with veiling baby." I nod. "Sorry guys I did try." They all laugh and nod. Forward again. Front porch with Clay. "There's male servants and guards in the yard. I'll never be able to take this off." "Oh I forgot about them. Want to go for a walk?" "Didn't you hear inside? The wild animal attacked a bear now. It lived, but I guess it was pretty badly hurt." "Oh." He looks down. "Can I tell you something, sister?" "You can tell me anything." "Promise not to tell?" "Nicolai." "Promise or I won't tell you." "I promise not to tell." "It was me. I just wanted to see If I could kill it. It was so much bigger than me." "Are you hurt?" I check his hands. "No. I mean, he did swipe me with his claws. But I healed fast once I got away from him." "Did you kill the deer too?" "Yes, it was just a couple. I was just seeing if I could. They were bigger than me too." "Clay, you could get hurt. I know you like to hunt, but you really could have been hurt by that bear." "I'm sorry. I had to try when I seen it." "I'll keep my promise and not tell. But you have to stop. People around here are scared that some crazy animal is going around attacking everything." "You're a good kid Clay. Just sometimes to curious for your own good. Go play with a ball or something. Hey maybe you and Tre could go fishing. He has a very interesting technique he could show you." Clay takes off running away. The movie flashes forward. I'm on a horse. Something spooks the horse and I fly off and land on my butt. The horse runs away. Tre rides up "Are you ok princess? I seen that horse throw you to the ground." He holds out his hand to lift me onto his horse. I give him my hand and let him lift me up. I sit between his legs, and he wraps his arms around me to hold the horse cable. "Thanks Tre. Always saving me." I lean back against his chest. "I want to go home." He turns the horse and starts walking us back to my house. "You ok? You seem upset." "I hate having to cover up." "It won't be forever Nadine." He tightens his arms around me, and we walk back like that. I walk over to him in real time, and he wraps his arms around me again. I did love that so much. "I'll take you for a ride when we get out of here baby." I nod. It flashes forward to the dungeon. "Hello?" It's a female voice. "Hello is someone here?" I start looking around. "Where are you?" "Over here. I'm locked in here." I walk a few more steps and finally locate her. "What are you doing in there?" She's locked in a cell with a window cut in the door. She has a black eye and scab on her neck. She's a human. She starts crying when she's sees me and backs up to the wall. "You're one of them. Get away." "I won't hurt you. Why are you here?" "This is where they keep me." "Who?" "The king." "That doesn't make any sense. What did you do?" "I breath." She starts sobbing. "He sucks blood out of my neck and shoves himself into me." She puts her hands by her girl parts and hits her knees crying even harder. "Almost every day." She looks at me. "Please help me." It flashes forward to my momma's kitchen. This time it's from my point of view. "What's wrong my princess? You seem deep in thought." Daddy is staring right at me. "I found the blood pets today." He turns a slight shade of green and Tre's eye's widen. Flashes to the porch... Me and Tre "I'm sorry I ran off today Tre. It's just I hate this thing and I don't think it's fair." "It's not fair princess. But hopefully it won't be on that long." "Thank you for bringing me home today." "My pleasure princess. Thank you for the lunch." "Do you.." "Do I what princess?" "Never mind. Enjoy the rest of your day Tre." "You too princess." It flashes forward to me and clay walking down a hallway. "This is the path I took to see the blood pet earlier. Let's hide in this room sister." He pulls me a room and we partially shut the door. We can see a few guards start to walk by. Then we see mom go by. Covered in blood. Dad follows soon after. "Aurelia! What are you doing?" Mom yells back. "UNTIL THAT DUNGEON IS LOCKED UP ENOUGH THAT MY CHILDREN CAN'T ROAM DOWN THERE, YOU WILL NOT KEEP THOSE PETS IN MY HOUSE!!!" Dipak sees us crouching behind the door and stands in front of us. He never says a word though. "Aurel..." "AM I UNDERSTOOD? CAUSE IF NOT I WILL TAKE MY CHILDREN AND GO NOW!" "Yes." "Good. And they are all dead now. I suggest you take some time and make sure the place is secure before you bring new ones in. Or they won't live long either." Dipak turns and looks at us. "Children go outside and play for a bit." Flashes to the river with Clay. "Do you think dad will hurt mom for this?" "She'll hurt him first." "Yea you're right." He sits down on a rock and I sit beside him. "Hey look, there's Tre." "Decide to use a pole today, Tre? I thought you liked your method better." He smiles at me. "Well, if this doesn't work I will try the other method for your entertainment princess." He baits a hook and throws it in the water. "I need to catch some fish for my mother. She wants them for dinner." "I'm going to run and grab some poles, sister. We can help Tre." Clay runs away. "He really likes spending time with you Tre. You're like the older brother he never got." "I like spending time with you, princess. What brought you 2 out to the river anyway?" "Dipak kicked us out." We all start laughing and it flashes forward again. I look around and realize everyone seems to be in a trance watching my life play out. This is at a ball. "Can I have a dance princess?" A little Tre asks. Mary tells him. "She can't see well sir. Please be careful." We can hear random people talking. "That's the future king and queen right there." "Those 2 will be mates someday." "Calm down princess. Don't worry about what anyone says. It's 1 dance." "I can barely see Tre." "I wish I could rip that stupid thing off you right now." "My parents would be so mad." "Yea they would. I think I would have to run out of here. But at least you would be able to see princess." He starts looking around. "What are you looking for?" "Trying to see where the nearest exit is. In case I need it." "I only got permission for 1 dance and I don't want to miss a second of it. I want you in my arms for all of it princess." "Is everyone still staring at us?" "No. Just your dad. And he's really only staring at me. I think I might need that exit after all." As soon as the song ends, he bows to me and I curtsy. Then I give him a hug. "Thank you for making me feel better again, Tre." "Any time, princess. Let's get you back to your seat. Your dad is still staring at me, and he's starting to get up." "Thank you for the dance sir." It flashes forward and I look around again. These are pulling our attention in. This isn't part of the maze at all. I run to Dipak and wave my hand in front of his face. He doesn't even notice. I give Tre a hug. No reaction from him either. What do I do? I start to cry. I jump on Tye to try to hug him. We both fall to the ground.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD