49. Papapa

1495 Words
We land in the front yard of a little house. A couple is rocking on the porch. I stare at them, and they stare at me until Zion pulls me out of my trance. Tobias and Eriska go for a walk. "We're searching for the Katah's. Do you know them?" "I am Utsui Katah. This is my wife Tai. How can we help you?" "You were Uhmok's parents?" "He was our son." "What happened?" I sit on the steps and watch them. His momma puts her head down and cries. The dad rubs her back. "Our son was troubled... For a long time. He lost a lot in his life. He held a lot of grief. Guilt. Anger. Rage. He blamed himself for everything. For years, it was like that. We slowly started to pull him back. He was doing well. We brought him here. Fresh start. We were hoping he could find a job. Maybe some friends. He needed people in his life." His momma nods. "He met someone. I could tell he was in love. He was happy. And sad. She was upset with him. But he loved her. He showed off that mark on his neck. He wanted us to meet her. He said we would love her as much as he did. I had never seen so much love and hope in him." His dad smiles. "He got a job working for Whyther. He was doing well. He commuted to work from here. Then he moved to an apartment closer to work. That was 2 months before he died." "Is any of his stuff still here?" "Yes. Come in. We kept his room the way he left it." His room is actually an apartment. It's all normal stuff. I grab a few pictures of him. Zion looks at a picture and smiles. "This was his soulmate?" "Yes. They were both so young and happy. She was gone within the year that was taken. It wasn't fair." "You saw him after he was marked with Kehlani?" "He was here 3 days before he was killed. That's the last I saw him. He wanted her more than anything. He was so happy. He said he was leaving with her. They were going to travel and be together." His dad nods. "He wanted us to go with him. I didn't want to go on the honeymoon." Zion and his dad laugh. "I told him we'd join them eventually. When they settled down a little." I pick up the picture of him and his soulmate. "Can I have this?" "Why do you want a picture of Uhmok?" "For my nephew. It's his dad, and he's so happy in this picture." "Uhmok was a dad?" His mom grabs the table. "I'm a grandpa?" His dad grabs the wall. "Kehlani is my sister. She was pregnant when Uhmok was killed. We believe Whyther killed Uhmok, so my sister would die when the bond snapped." "That's not true. Whyther gave him a chance. A real job. He was doing so well." His mom hits her knees sobbing. "He was so happy. He was going to live with her." His dad rubs his eyes. "That's why the invasion happened? Whyther used my son to attack the queen?" "We believe so." "My son didn't know. I don't care what anyone says. My boy loved that girl. I could see it in his eyes. He wanted to be with her forever." "You can tell her that. I think it'll make her feel a lot better. People have been saying he was in on the plan." "He wasn't. He cleaned up his act. He got a real job. He was proud of himself with the apartment. He loved working. He was making plans for his first vacation. He planned on visiting an island. He got a gym membership with some of the guys at work. They were working out together. It was the closest thing to friends he had in forever. We were so proud of him." Zion smiles. "Let's go. We have a few people that need to hear your story." We land outside the building my boys are in again. This time we get followed in by 2 dragons. Everyone looks at us again. Zion smiles. "This is Utsui and Taika Katah. They were Uhmok's parents. This is Kehlani." His dad smiles. "You're as beautiful as he described you." Kehlani's eyes fill up with tears. I put the pictures down. "I didn't know about this one. But Urie may like to see his dad's soulmate someday." She wipes the tears off her face. "Thank you." Utsui pulls out his phone. "He came to see us 3 days before he was killed. These are the last pictures I have of him. He told us all about you. He was looking forward to being with you. He even invited me on the honeymoon." They all crack up laughing. "He was showing off that mark every chance he got. He was so happy. He was making so many plans for the 2 of you. He didn't know you were pregnant, did he?" "I didn't know until the very end. I told him the day before. He was happy." "Oh, I know he was. My boy was so in love with you. You were everything to him. Look at this picture. I asked him what color your hair was, and he smiled, thinking about you." "You need to see Urie. Bring Urie down." "Yes, ma'am." A nun carries him after a few minutes. They are still looking at the pictures. Tai jumps up and down. "I have a grandson. The most handsome young man I've ever seen. I can see Uhmok and you both in him. He's perfect." She scoops him up. "I'm your grandma, baby. You have your daddy's little grin." "DADADA." Urie reaches for Alden. She smiles. "Is that daddy?" He giggles. "Oh, you are precious. You have Uhmok's little grin. How's that? Or grandpa's. He has that same smirk too." "PAPAPA." Urie reaches for Utsui. "I'll be that. You are perfect." Utsui hugs Urie against his chest and hums. Well, it's like a rattly growl hum. Very different. Then Urie does it. I tilt my head. "Good boy. You have your vocals in already. Grandpa will teach you all about those." Urie's shirt must have come up in the back. Tai rubs his little back. "He's got Uhmok's spots. Nearly identical." "Horns too. Remember Uhmok at this age? The horn starts are identical." "He's perfect." Urie hums again. It sounds like a purr this time. His grandpa laughs. "Not the appropriate time for that one." Urie giggles. Then he growls. They do it at the same time, and it sounds like music. Or a song. It's beautiful. I've never heard anything so deep. Zion pulls me. "We're going for a ride." Malax nods. "Did you forget something?" "No." "Ok. I'll send a shuttle to go pick them up." I crack up laughing and Zion pulls me out. "They'll be fine." We ride around for an hour. Then Tobias picks me up off the bike and puts me behind Zion. "My turn." Zion rubs my knee. "My backpack." Eriska climbs on the bike with Tobias. "I can't believe you left us." "We thought you left." "We were on a walk." "You left on a walk. It's not our fault you were gone." "Whatever. Let's go find a party and kiss boys." "You 2 do that, so I can get my bike back." I put my arms around Zion. He laughs and takes off. We ride around and have fun for a couple of hours. Then we pull back up in front of the building. I stretch then lean on Zion. He rubs my legs. Tye falls down 3 steps. "I WANT ONE." "They take a while to learn, Tye. Practice at Kehlani's village. Start there." "Just show me how to drive this one." "It's not mine. And I'm not showing you. They have too much power, and you don't even have the right gear to ride it. You'll lose your head if it slams on the ground." Zion nods. "They give lessons on our planet too. One or the other. But you can't just jump on one. They take time to get used to." I feel my hand fall and Zion jumps. I jump a little and turn my head the other way. "She's sleeping on you, bro." "I noticed. How the hell am I going to get her off here?" Tye laughs. "Bring Ax or Tim here." "Yes, sir." I snuggle into Tim and he rubs my back. "Did you eat?" Zion answers, "We ate a late lunch. We're fine." "Alright. You have about an hour. Then we're done here. I'm taking her up. That one needs to go up too." Tobias says, "s**t. I didn't know she was sleeping. How the hell?" Zion laughs. "Interesting problem to have. I know."
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD