Chapter 5-1

2034 Words
The mosquitoes were waiting as soon as they reached the deck. They did not attack in sections or companies, but in entire regiments and brigades. They swarmed everywhere, like a biting black swarm that attached proboscis to every square inch of exposed flesh in their search for blood. Jack swore and scraped a hand across his face. With the insects came sweat that broke out immediately and soaked through the thick serge of his uniform within minutes. "If this is the Kingdom of Ava, they can keep it," an anonymous Hereford voice murmured, and somebody else barked a short laugh. "They can keep the whole b****y East," Coleman grumbled until Sergeant Wells roared them all to silence. "Just get on deck," Jack ordered, "and prepare to support the Navy." He said no more, for Sergeant Wells would take care of the details. They clambered up, one by one, with their once scarlet tunics faded to a dozen shades of red from ochre to ominous blood, and lined up against the rail of Rattler. The wash of the corvette broke on the banks on either side of the river and set small fishing boats rocking in the current. Rattler"b****y mud, b****y forest and b****y mosquitoes." Coleman hawked and spat over the side into the Rangoon River. "Keep your mouth shut, Coleman, and watch for the Burmese," Wells" ordered. Rattler chugged on with her screw churning the brown river to a creamy foam and unseen birds calling in the background. Jack looked over his dozen private soldiers; there was no need to inspect Wells. There were other infantrymen on board, but only Wells and these twelve were his. They lined the rail, held their muskets and stared at the slowly unfolding landscape. RattlerBurma stretched on either side of the river, an unknown, alien land of jungles and rice fields, mudflats and mosquitoes, small villages of thatched huts and the strange calls of unseen animals. A flock of parrots exploded from the branch of an overhanging tree, their plumage bright against dark leaves. "Do you think they"ll attack us, sir?" Wells asked. Jack shook his head. "I don"t know sergeant." He remembered what he had read about this land. "They are an aggressive people, well used to warfare. They won"t like us invading their territory like this." He glanced along the spar deck, where the thin line of British soldiers faced outward. "The King of Ava has mustered twenty thousand men, I heard, so he must be confident of facing us." Wells glanced around. Representatives of different regiments lined the rail, all sweating under the punishing sun and waiting for something to happen. "We"re a long way from England, sir." That was stating the obvious. Jack nodded. "Indeed, we are." He indicated the guns of the corvette and the other ships of the flotilla, steam and sail-powered, that accompanied them. "But we have firepower, backed with infantry." Every turn of the corvette"s screw carried them further up the river and further away from Moulmein and the main British base. He watched their wash set small ripples easing across the boggy rice-fields that lined either bank. Men and women stopped working in the fields to watch them pass; a child gave a hesitant wave until his mother hurried him away from these strange intruders in their land. A family clustered around a huge water-buffalo, the man in a broad hat, the woman in a brilliant blue longyi with a baby at her breast. High above, vultures circled in an azure sky. Jack watched as a single ship chugged from upstream and passed with a flurry of signals. Two officers stood on the raised poop-deck behind a tall funnel, while an ominous row of bodies lay wrapped in sailcloth on her spar-deck. "That"s Serangipatam," one of the ship"s officers said quietly, "John Company"s black ship." SerangipatamJack watched her pass. "Where has she been?" He could smell the jungle from her. "Only God and the commander know." The officer nodded to a tall man in an immaculate uniform who stood on the poop. "And you"ve got more chance of hearing from God than getting information from the commander. Best tend to your own business, Ensign." "We"re slowing down," Private Easterhouse said softly, and Jack realised that the beat of the engine had altered, the creamy lines of their wake lessened, so they vanished into almost nothingness before reaching the rice-fields. "What"s that?" Coleman pointed ahead. Even through the slight mist that had risen to obscure one bank of the river, Jack could see the glinting light. "What the devil is that?" Smith repeated the words as every eye on that side of the corvette peered into the mist. "It"s the Golden Pagoda of Rangoon," Jack guessed quietly. "That is Burma"s chief religious site and one which they will fight to defend." "We"re in the province of Pegu; the locals don"t consider themselves as Burmese,." Wells spoke so quietly that only Jack heard him. How the devil does a ranker know that? How the devil does a ranker know that?Mention of the word gold had an instant effect. Heads turned, and fingers pointed over the side of the boat. The pagoda"s tall cone thrust upward from misted trees to soar toward the clouds. Set a good mile back from the bank of the river; it still dominated the area. "Get back to attention!" Wells roared. "Don"t concentrate on the pagoda," Jack said quietly, "but be prepared for hard fighting. The Burmese have built stockades and are masters of defending them." I"m approaching my first action; I should be scared and excited, but this doesn"t feel real. I am somebody else looking down on me. I"m approaching my first action; I should be scared and excited, but this doesn"t feel real. I am somebody else looking down on me."We"re anchoring," Wells said as Rattler eased to a halt on the pagoda side of the river. The other ships of the flotilla followed suit until there was a long line of British vessels anchored bow to stern, sails furled, smoke oozing from tall funnels and the multi-crossed flag of the Union hanging limply in the sulky heat. It was an array of British military power blatantly displayed far up a river in this southeastern corner of Asia. Shafts of sunlight escaped from the fraying fingers of mist to seep between the banyan trees and create sparkling ribbons on the brown water. Rattler"Impressive, isn"t it, Wells?" Jack nodded to the ships. Wells glanced and shrugged. "Yes, sir." He didn"t look impressed. "The mist is clearing." As a boy, Jack had often stood on the ridge of the Malvern Hills and watched the ground mist smeared across the Worcestershire plains. He had seen the spires of the churches protruding from the silver-grey blanket, and the tops of the tallest trees, and then the mist had gradually cleared to reveal the countryside. This Oriental mist was different, denser, sinister even, lacking the cosy friendliness of his native land. It seemed to cling to the tall pagoda that swept upward from the huddled buildings of Rangoon as if reluctant to reveal the intricate details to the British invader. "That"s impressive, sir,." Wells indicated the pagoda. It was easily the largest building in Rangoon with the apex of its cone glinting gold under the kiss of the sun and the sliding mist below. It soared above the squat domestic buildings and lesser pagodas that huddled together to make up the new town of Rangoon. Wells nodded toward the guns of the long line of British ships floating on the muddy water of this Irrawaddy tributary. "It"s a sin that we have to blow it to bits." Now that"s another unusual sentiment for a ranker. Now that"s another unusual sentiment for a ranker.Jack inspected the ground between the banks of the river and the temple where the old town of Rangoon had recently stood. Now that settlement was gone, destroyed by orders from the King of the Golden Foot with the materials used to build a series of stout stockades. "The Burmese agree with you," he said quietly. "We have to get past that lot first." From their position in the centre of the river, Jack could see the ugly snouts of cannon protruding above the log ramparts and the heads of curious defenders bobbing around as they watched the creeping British advance. The enemy is there; even now, some Burmese soldier might be pointing me out and planning to shoot me. The enemy is there; even now, some Burmese soldier might be pointing me out and planning to shoot me.Jack watched as the British ships lifted anchor again and manoeuvred for the best position for the attack. The officers on Rattler shouted orders that saw the corvette throw great hawsers astern to the forty- four-g*n frigate Fox. The pennant of Commodore Lambert hung in the humid air. Somewhere an animal emitted a high-pitched scream; a monkey perhaps. RattlerFox"That"s the man in charge then." Wells indicated Lambert"s flag. Jack said nothing. It was not an officer"s place to reply to a sergeant. He watched the scurry of activity on the frigate and wondered how these seamen, used to life on the broad reaches of the world"s oceans, felt being confined in such a small space as the Rangoon River. "Take the strain!" A lean lieutenant roared as Rattler"s engines increased their revolutions until the noise rose to a whine. The tow rope tautened and vibrated. The water under Rattler"s counter churned to a creamy brown. RattlerRattler"Slow ahead!" the officer shouted, and the corvette inched forward with the sailing ship fifty feet behind and a handful of seamen watching over the towing cable. Over on the far bank, a man slowly guided a pair of water buffalo through a rice field, ignoring the spectacle that Britain had provided for his enlightenment. Rattler moved on, slowly, towing the frigate astern as they eased closer to Rangoon with its impressive pointed pagoda and the outlying stockades that sat, squat and menacing, as guardians of the Burmese Empire. The atmosphere was heavy, humid; the air so dense it was hard to breathe while every movement brought the exasperating prickle of perspiration. Rattler"Shoal water, sir!" a seaman in the bow shouted. Jack had hardly seen the captain on their voyage from Rangoon, but now he took control. "Cast off the tow," the captain ordered. "Fox has deeper draught than us; she will run aground here. Slow ahead; stand by the guns!" FoxA seaman threw the tow rope into the muddy water and Rattler moved on alone. The seamen hurried to the guns as she eased yard by yard closer to the teak stockades that barred any landing. Jack could see the heads and shoulders of the captain and the first lieutenant on the bridge as they scanned Rangoon with their telescopes. Below them, the spar deck of Rattler was busy with white-clothed, tight-trousered seamen readying the five huge 32- pounder broadside cannon or the even more massive pivot 68-pounder that occupied the bow. The officers gave sharp orders as the powder monkeys, the young boys who carried cartridges to the guns, scurried around, laughing and joking despite the stern words and occasional blows. RattlerRattler"So here we are," Jack said to himself, "thirty miles up a tributary of the Irrawaddy River in a flotilla of ships, facing an unknown and savage enemy." For the first time, he felt a prickle of excitement. He was about to earn his pay. He had chosen this career; fighting was his only way back up to where he belonged. "There"s movement there." Wells pointed to the nearest of the defending stockades. The defenders were clustering around cannon; the ugly black snouts protruded through embrasures on the parapet. They"re going to fire first. I"m going to be under fire. Jack felt something cold run down his back, and his buttocks involuntarily contracted. Why that particular part of me? He fought the desire to laugh. Nerves! It"s the same feeling as I had when summoned to the Rector"s study.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD