1891 Words
“Hello,” he said. “Hey, I was just calling to let you know the plan.” “That would have been a better thing to do three days ago,” he replied angrily. “I’m sorry, Dean; if I had told you, you wouldn’t have let me leave.” “No, because this is stupid of you. You’re putting in danger not only yourself but also your friends and family.” “Please stop,” I replied, a tear slipping from my eye. “Your father told me you were staying with the playboy. He then texted me a few minutes ago telling me you’re working at Owen’s bar.” “The playboy’s name is Zac, and no, I’m working for Demetrius.” “Even worse than Owen. Good job, Evie.” “Dean, please stop being this way. I hate it,” I replied, more tears rolling down my face. Dean was acting as if he hated me; I didn’t like it. After six months of feeling different towards him, his words and hatred hurt me. “I will be heading back. I’m not leaving your well-being in the hands of these twits,” he replied. I was happy. I didn’t want him to come back still mad at me, but I did miss him. “I can see if Zac will let you stay here,” I offered. “No way in hell am I staying with a teenager. I don’t even want you to stay with him. Are there any adults there at all?” “What the hell do you want from me, Dean?” “For you to be here, with me, and safe. However, that was too much to ask. So, here we go again, a nice round two of the hell we all had to go through six months ago.” “Whatever, Dean, I no longer want you here. I don’t need you at all if this is how you are going to act.” There was a long pause on the other end of the phone, and then Dean hung up on me. I didn’t mean what I said, and I was already starting to feel guilty about it. I had never fought with Dean before, at least not this badly. I was really hoping he would forgive me; he always had before. I didn’t think this would be so different. I was sitting in my room with my knees to my chest, crying in my lap, when my father walked in. He wasn’t happy about the way Dean was treating me. Even though he knew I had done wrong, he was still on my side and said he would handle it. He told me that he had called Demetrius and explained everything to him, and Demetrius agreed to watch out for me while I was working. Dad said goodbye and went home for the night. I wasn’t sure the next time I would see him, so I was happy to have spent time with him today. With me making Dean so angry, I wondered if he was going to change his mind about coming home tomorrow or not. I asked Zac about Dean staying here if he showed up and wanted to. I was really hoping this was the start of a new beginning, but Dean’s words haunted me. I was down in the kitchen, making dinner for Zac and me. Ozzy got us tacos to eat for dinner tonight. I cooked the beef and started making our plates. Dean and I never really ate dinner together when we were away, so it was nice not to eat alone for once. When bedtime rolled around, I went up to my room. I stripped down and got in the shower; there was no way I was going two days without one. I loved being clean. I was surprised that Ozzy had Zac get me the right shampoo and conditioner. He even got the right body wash; I made a mental note to thank him tomorrow as he was already sleeping. I got out of the shower and wrapped myself in a towel. I turned on the TV and lay down to go to sleep. Other than my fight with Dean, today was a great day. I was happy I got to see Dad and Ozzy. Two days until I started my job, and I felt at ease in Zac’s home. It may not have been my home, but it had a comforting vibe to it, which came in handy when concealing myself from my stalker or, in Zac’s case, hiding the pain of his parents never being around. I didn’t know what I would have done if I had to live the way Zac did. He must have been lonely in this huge house by himself. He never showed it though. If you had just met him on the streets, you would only see a very well-mannered teenager who could charm the pants off anyone. I finally fell asleep around eleven at night. I didn’t get to sleep long. I was half woken up by someone aggressively running their hand through my hair and tugging on it while shaking my head. “Hey Joan Jett, wake up,” a voice said. I opened my eyes and saw Dean sitting at the end of my bed. I was fully awake. I didn’t think he would get here so fast; he must have already been on his way here. I decided not to say anything about it. “I know you’re mad at me, but can I hug you?” I asked. He smiled at me and held out his arms. I wrapped mine around him and I cried into his chest. He held me there till my tears stopped and pulled me back. Although he was comforting me, I could still see the hurt and anger on his face. He must have felt betrayed. “I’m sorry,” I said, wiping my face off with my shirt. It was his shirt that I put on in hopes of comfort and peaceful sleep without nightmares. “Was it really so bad? You were safe there; everyone was safe with you there.” “Look, I know I’m putting everyone back in danger, but you don’t have to keep telling me.” “Okay sorry. You clearly know what you’re doing, so what is next?” “What do you mean?” “I told you things would start back up again, maybe not right off the bat, but if he finds you, they will. What is your plan then?” “I don’t know, I didn’t think about it. I figured I would wing it.” “I figured. I will figure it out,” he said. I could tell he didn’t like that he would once again have to fix things. I made it my mission to make it through this, so he didn’t have to be my rock this time. “Just leave it alone. I will figure it out when need be. I just want you to be my dad, not my saver.” “You are so infuriating sometimes. Do you really think that I’m just going to sit back and do nothing?” Before I could answer, he held up his hand to stop me. “It’s late, get back to sleep.” I nodded and lay back down. Dean lay down in the lounge chair under the window and fell asleep, and I followed. Tonight was the first night that I didn’t have nightmares. It was a nice feeling, and I prayed I would stay nightmare-free. I woke up the next morning, and Dean was gone. I got out of bed and made my way downstairs. Zac wasn’t awake yet, so I went to the kitchen to make some breakfast. I decided to make some waffles. By the time I was done making them, it was nine in the morning. I set up plates and went to wake up Zac. I knocked on his door several times, but he didn’t answer, so I opened it just enough to peek inside. He was hanging half off the bed, and it made me giggle. I walked in and shook him a little. He growled at me and tried to push my hand away. I jumped on the bed, and he fell the rest of the way off it. “Why’d you push me off?” “I didn’t. You were already hanging halfway off.” He shook his head a bit. “Alright, what do you want?” “I made food. Are you hungry?” His eyes went wide; that sure did the trick of waking him up. He stood from the floor and made his way downstairs. I followed him and took a seat at the table. He was already stuffing his face. At least he liked it. “I could get used to this,” he said with a smile. “Well, Dean’s here. I’m not sure how long I will be staying now. I’m not sure if he is going to move me or not, so don’t get too used to it.” “So, he did end up here last night, then?” “Yeah, we talked for a bit. He still wasn’t happy with me, but we cleared a few things up.” “I told you yesterday that he could stay here too. I still have that other bedroom he can stay in.” “I told him that, but I don’t know if he will want to take it,” I replied as my phone started to ring. “Speak of the devil. Hey, Dean.” “Hey, so I was able to get my old job back. I spoke to Wilson; he isn’t too impressed with you either right now. Anyway, you can do as you wish, stay with Zac if you want. I have a home and I miss it. Between living with Eric and then having to up and run, I finally get to go back to my home.” “I would love to come with you,” I replied. “Yeah, but you won’t. You’re too dead set on doing everything by yourself.” “If you ever get over me coming home, then call me, but until then, I’m over it. I can’t take this anymore. I made a choice to come home, and I’m not sorry about it. I’m done with you speaking to me this way,” I replied, hanging up on him. He got on my nerves so much. I could see why he was angry, but I didn’t understand why he was treating me like this. I expected him to be distant but not rude and disrespectful. It was driving me insane. He could just go back to his old life, but I didn’t have that option. I took another bite of my food and looked at Zac. He put on a sad face and stuck his bottom lip out. If only he knew how much this hurt me. He most likely did; his parents were never around. My issues probably meant little to him, and in his head, I’m sure he wanted to tell me to suck it up.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD