Chapter 2: Not close enough

2205 Words
Sage I know I should be more enthusiastic about being here, but all I can think about is my comfy spot on the couch and all of the shows that are waiting for me to download. I just couldn't say no to Tariq when he asked me to be his date. He has been pretty persistent about asking me out for a few months. If you saw what Tariq Santos looks like, you'd probably give me a “Why the hell are you keeping this gorgeous, hunk of a man waiting?” look. It's hard for me to explain that as beautiful and compelling Tariq is, with his dark as sin eyes, silky mahogany hair, and tall, slick, muscular body, I still don't feel anything. Perhaps before I met... No, no, I refuse to think about him. It's just not fair to think about him. Not when anything has really happened between us. All I know is that Tariq is a gorgeous man who is offering himself up to me on a silver platter, and I'm too caught up in something that didn't happen. He and I met months ago after I helped him set up his company's New York office. My best friend, Maleah, and I own a dessert shop named Sweet Perfect, but I also do freelance work for new and failing businesses that want to succeed or are in need of a reboot. Tariq has an established company that needed a little boost in the market. I guess the reason I've let things get this far is that Tariq reminds me of him. Physically, Tariq and...Priest... There, I said his name and my body didn't go into total meltdown. If the sound of his name from my lips makes my n*****s bead and my sheath clench, I ignore it. Tariq, like Priest, is tall and gorgeous. They have the same hair color and deep smoldering look that makes a woman want to give in to anything he wants. Tariq is everything I want in a male. However, fate put Priest in my path first, and I've been lost since. It's not that I don't feel attracted to Tariq. It's more like that is all I feel. When I'm with Priest, my whole body vibrates like a live wire. All I can think of is spending days and nights with him in bed doing every s****l thing that I can only fantasize about. However, with Priest, it was explosive. Thinking back on that hot night we spent together still makes my body ignite with desire. But in the end, and to my embarrassment, Priest saw that night differently. Where I rebelled in his touch, regardless of my drugged state, he saw it as helping a friend. I was mortified and heartbroken. Unfortunately, that doesn't stop me from dreaming of his touch or of what his kiss felt like. I'm a fool, and I know it. That's why I decided that it's time to let him go. Maybe Tariq is the one that will make me forget Priest. Perhaps all I have to do is give him a chance. That's why I'm here in my sexy blue dress instead of sitting at home dwelling on what could have been. Right now, Tariq is schmoozing some possible investors as I take a breather, sip expensive Champagne, and gaze at the beautiful art adorning the ballroom walls. The hotel is gorgeous. I was surprised when Tariq and I stepped through the front door. It was like we were transported back in time. The front foyer is beautiful, with its winding staircase covered with lush red carpets and a gleaming, dark, wooden railing. Tariq has been very attentive tonight, which makes me feel guilty for even thinking about Priest. Taking a few breaths, I reach for another flute of Champagne and take a sip. I know that Tariq is waiting for me to approach his group, but I need another moment. The heels of my shoes click as I make my way to another painting. That's when I see him. I have to blink my eyes to make sure that he's not a figment of my imagination. Perhaps my mind is playing tricks on me. He's walking away from the ballroom and toward the front door, but I recognize that broad back and stiff, military posture. I know that I should turn around and pretend that I didn't see him, but my brain is not sending that message to my mouth. “Priest,” I whisper with a sigh. His back stiffens, and his fingers tighten. For a moment, I think that he's going to keep walking, but he surprises me when he turns around and faces me. His silver eyes glow beneath the harsh light, and I can see a tick in his jaw as he steps closer. My heart pounds through my ears, and my breathing becomes ragged. Every part of me goes on alert. He reminds me of a slick Panther with his long, languid stride and smoldering eyes. My heart jumps when he comes to a stop, mere inches in front of me. I bite my lip, trying to stifle a moan. The man is like a nuclear bomb to my heart. “Sage.” He mutters, slowly running his molten eyes down my body. “Hey,” I whisper lamely. “What are you doing here?” He glances over his shoulder, then focuses his gaze back on mine. “Business. How about you?” He asks, diverting the subject back to me. I swallow deeply, surprised by his curt answer. “I─” “There you are.” A husky male voice mutters behind my back as a possessive hand slides around my waist. Priest's eyes hone in on the hand, then on the man standing behind me. To my utter surprise, Tariq straightens and mutters. “Aidan?” Priest's face blanks. “Tariq,” He mutters emotionlessly. Tariq steps around me, nearly standing toe-to-toe with Priest. “Aidan? I thought you were dead.” He says with a serious frown. Priest/Aidan smirks. “Sorry to disappoint you and the family, but as you can see, I'm alive and well.” I don't know what made me do it. Perhaps it’s the shock of knowing that both men know each other or something else, but I blurt out. “You two know each other?” Both men's heads snap in my direction with an eerily similar scowl. Tariq is the one that answers. “Aidan is my cousin. How do you know each other?” He quirks a questioning brow. Priest's eyes narrow into slits, sending a killing glare toward Tariq's possessive hand around my waist. The tick in his jaw thrums, making his mouth tighten into a grim line as he waits for my response. I feel like a deer caught in headlights as I search my mind to frame an answer. “Do you remember what I told you about my stalker? Pri-Aidan has a security company. He was the one that protected me. He's also Hunter—Maleah's boyfriend, best friend, and coworker.” Tariq nods his head and relaxes. “I see you're still playing the hero, cousin? I guess once a Seal, always a Seal, huh?” He asks with a note of sarcasm. Priest/Aidan shrugs his shoulders with no response. However, Tariq doesn't let it go. Tilting his head with a smirk, he extends his hand, enveloping mine in his. “I guess I should thank you then.” Priest's eyes burn with a dark emotion as he gazes intently at our entwined hands. “No need to thank me, cousin. It's what I do.” “Well, it's good to see you in good health, cousin. Last I heard, you were lethally wounded.” Priest's brow quirks with scorn. “I thought you heard I was dead? Or was that just wishful thinking on the family's part?” Tariq shakes his head and gazes away for a moment before he lets out an exhausted sigh and gives Priest/Aidan a tight smile. “Well... believe it or not, I am glad that you're alright.” Curiosity burns inside of me at their play on words. Why would their family be relieved that Priest was dead? Priest nods his head and gestures to the exit. “I better go then. Have a good night.” He turns around and strides to the exit doors, but I'm not done with him. Removing my hand from Tariq's grip, I turn to Tariq and whisper. “I'll be back in a minute.” Tariq glances over at Priest, then stiffens with a nod. “Okay, I'm going back to talk to the Sloans. Come on over as soon as you're done so that I can introduce you to them.” I nod my head distractedly and stride forward purposely until I reach Priest's retreating form. “Priest, wait!” He doesn't stop this time, so I speed up my pace and grab his elbow. “Priest!” His muscled arm stiffens when he turns back to me and glances down at my hand with a questioning frown. “What?” Releasing my hold, I drop my hand and take a deep breath. “How...how are you? We haven't spoken since...that night.” I say weakly. Priest shrugs. “I'm fine. Is that it?” My stomach falls at his indifference. How can this man not show any emotion when I'm feeling like my world has started turning again? “So, your real name is Aidan?” I ask, changing the subject in hopes that it will melt his coldness. Priest shrugs again. I swear that he does it on purpose. “Don't worry,” I say with a smile. “I won't tell anyone. I don't want to ruin your man of mystery façade.” He cracks a smile. “I really don't care if you tell anyone. Priest is the name I was given when I joined the Seals. At some point, everyone began calling me that, and it stuck. The only reason I don't tell anyone is to annoy Hunter. It drives him nuts that he didn't know my real name. I've made it a mission to keep him from finding it out just to drive him crazy.” I laugh softly at the thought of a professional hacker like Hunter being frustrated because he doesn't know his best friend's real name. “Oh, that's even more of a reason for me not to tell. He will never hear it from me.” Priest nods and takes a step back. Not knowing what else to say, I watch as he turns around, strides toward the door, but then abruptly turns around and steps closer. “Did you know that Tariq was my cousin?” He asks suspiciously. My mouth gapes in surprise. “Of course not. Trust me, I was just as surprised to find out as you were. Keep in mind that I didn't even know your real name until tonight.” I mutter with a stern scowl. Priest raises a skeptical brow but doesn't respond. I can almost hear what he's thinking. My face heats up as I watch the wheels turning in his head. “I swear to you, Priest, I didn't know he was your cousin,” I mutter adamantly. “I'm not like that.” Priest nods. “Okay.” He mutters with zero sincerity. I don't understand what is happening at that moment. But somehow, I feel like I cheated on Priest. It makes no sense, but I feel guilty because even though I didn't know Tariq was his cousin, a part of me dated Tariq because he reminded me of Priest. And now I know why. The two are related. Thinking back to a few moments ago, when the two men were standing face-to-face, I can see how very similar they are in looks. They could be brothers. However, Priest is more lethally rugged due to his chosen career, while Tariq is sleek, refined, and more domesticated. I'm such an i***t! Stepping close, I rise to my toes, put my arms around his neck, and kiss him gently on the corner of his mouth. My lips burn from the contact. “Take care of yourself,” I whisper longingly. Priest stiffens but doesn't pull me away. Instead, he places his hands around my waist and pulls me closer, making delicious shivers rock through my body before he whispers in my ear. “My cousin is a fortunate man,” We both reluctantly pull apart, slowly gazing into each other's eyes as our breaths mingle for less than a second. I want more, but it's not possible. Feeling desperate, I open my mouth to say anything, but no words come out. Seeing my confusion, Priest raises his hand and lovingly caresses my cheek. “It was good seeing you, Sage. You look breathtaking tonight.” I bite my lip waiting for more, but he doesn't say another word. Instead, he lowers his hand carefully and walks away. All I can do is stand there and hate myself for still wanting him.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD